"Racism in our Communities and How we can Address It"
Last night, I spent two hours listening to Cobb County Officials, Deputy Chiefs, Clergy, and various members of the community discuss racism in the community.
This informative discussion covered a range of timely topics as the group explored what is going on in our society today. Some of the topics discussed included their own personal experiences with racism, unconscious biases, and not being afraid to have uncomfortable discussions.
Takeaways from the meeting for me include:
1. Being courageous
2. Being uncomfortable before you can be comfortable
3. Engaging in cultural training
4. Supporting each other
5. The importance of furthering relationships
6. The importance of VOTING in our community
7. Be the change in the places where you live and work
8. Listening from both sides
9. Trust will allow you to move forward
10. Positive thinking yields positive results
11. Each of us should go out and make a better community for all of us
The information shared will help shape my thoughts as I move forward in my continued advocacy and leadership for the people of my community.
Thank you to the Mableton Improvement Coalition and the Austell Community Taskforce for hosting this event for our community to have this important conversation.